Oh, happy day lovies! I am so excited about today’s “10 Questions With…”! You probably recognize this handsome fella from Secrets from a Stylist! What you probably don’t know is that Orlando is way more entertaining than HGTV will allow for. Over the past six months this man has made me laugh so much, I thought it only fair you get in on the giggles and start reading his blog too. HommeMaker.com is packed with both pretty pictures and humorous chatter. Before you pop over there, get a taste below!
1. What’s Your Name and URL: Orlando Soria, Hommemaker.com
2. When did you start blogging? What drove you to blog?: I started blogging in 2007 when I worked as a graphic designer. Because I was an entry-level designer, I had no creative control over what I was creating. Blogging was something I did completely for myself, where I could maintain creative control.
3. What has been your favorite post?: I did a post about gay pool parties which was pretty hilarious and fun to write. Sometimes I go back and read it when I’m feeling bored and it makes me happy.
4. Where do you go to for inspiration? Dish blogs/stores/locations/etc: The most inspirational places in the world are art museums. I go to LACMA (LA County Museum of Art) on a regular basis and stare at the Richard Serra pieces, the Barbara Kruger’s elevator installation, the Chris Burden streetlamps out front, etc. Like interior design, art is a form of expression. But unlike interior design, art isn’t bogged down by practicality or useability. In designing spaces, art provides uninhibited visual inspiration.
5. Every dweller should: Fill their home with books and art. These two things make me happy because they provide endless information, entertainment, and beauty. They also provide perfect design elements because they don’t just feel like random crapola sitting around. They have a useful function (which is to make life fun).
6. If you had unlimited funds you would buy: A huge art collection with work by Hedi Slimane, Yoshitomo Nara, and David Hockney.
7.Where would you buy a second home/rent a second apartment and why?: I have done my time in New York and probably will never live there full time again, but it’s always been my dream to own a whole brownstone on either 21st or 22nd street between 9th and 10th avenues. I’ve lived in this part of the city and loved it. And the idea of living in one of those gorgeous old brownstones and having the whole thing to myself is the most extravagant and delightful fantasy.
8. What’s your favorite piece of furniture in your home?: Right now I’m really into my bedside table, which is this old farmhouse piece with a lot of little drawers that I got a Wertz Brothers. It’s one of the first things I see every morning and it’s got a ton of age and character.
9. Your homes style is: Modern-Antique-Japanese-Grandpa-Rustic-Urban-Artist. I like everything, so my style kind of reflects that. I love paintings and photographs, but I also love furniture pieces with history, age and character. I don’t like houses that look too themey, so my space tends to be an eclectic collection of stuff I love.
10. Three words to describe your personal taste: Fun, Found, Frugal.